When we started our specialist health coach training programs back in 2008, we were enthusiastically teaching coaching skills workshops to anyone who was working with clients around behaviour change; mainly allied health and fitness professionals. Fast forward 15 years and we now offer a choice of qualifications and gap training programs recognised by key health coaching bodies that cater to people of various backgrounds but who are passionate about helping others improve their health and wellbeing.
In recent years there has been steady growth in awareness of our practice and we thought it timely to provide an update of where Health and Wellness Coaching is at and why now more than ever it is needed!
There are several reasons why health and wellness coaching is becoming increasingly popular as a career choice:
- Growing interest in holistic health: People are becoming more aware of the importance of taking care of their overall well-being, including physical, mental, and emotional health. Health and wellness coaches provide guidance and support in all these areas, making them valuable resources for individuals seeking a holistic approach to their health.
- Rise in chronic diseases: Chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are on the rise globally. Health and wellness coaches help individuals make lifestyle changes to prevent or manage these conditions, leading to a higher demand for their services.
- Personalised approach: Health and wellness coaching focuses on individualized care and tailoring strategies to meet the unique needs and goals of each client. This personalised approach is appealing to many individuals who are looking for customised solutions to their health concerns.
- Shift towards preventive care: With the increasing emphasis on preventive care, people are seeking ways to maintain good health and prevent future health issues. Health and wellness coaches play a crucial role in educating and empowering individuals to make healthier choices, preventing the onset of chronic diseases.
- Integration of technology: The advancement of technology has made health and wellness coaching more accessible and convenient. Virtual coaching platforms, mobile apps, and wearable devices allow coaches to connect with clients remotely, expanding their reach and making their services more convenient for individuals.
- Career flexibility and fulfillment: Health and wellness coaching offers individuals the opportunity to work independently or as part of a larger organisation. This flexibility allows coaches to create their own schedules, work from anywhere, and have a positive impact on people’s lives, which can be highly fulfilling.
- Increased recognition and professionalisation: Health and wellness coaching is gaining recognition as a legitimate profession. Organizations such as the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC) and Health Coaches Australia and New Zealand Association (HCANZA) have established standards and certifications, further professionalising the field and increasing its credibility.
Overall, the growing interest in holistic health, the rise in chronic diseases, the personalised approach, the shift towards preventive care, the integration of technology, career flexibility, and increased recognition have all contributed to the popularity of health and wellness coaching as a career choice.
Wellness Coaching Australia is proud to be a provider of this training for so many people who value the history and part we have played in the development of our industry!
Our coaches can be found working in many place – in healthcare, in fitness, corporate, education to name a few and our aim is to continue to grow and improve the education, the practical and personal development of our coaches.