But what contributes to mental well being?
- Positive emotions – we need to experience at least 3:1 positive to negative emotions in day to experience a sense of well being and ward off the black dog.
- Engagement – we are engaged in whatever we do in our lives – be it personal or professional activities. Ie not bored or switched off or disengaged.
- Relationships – the most important factor in good mental health is having supportive, positive relationships in our lives.
- Meaning – we understand why we do what we do and have a sense of meaning around our daily routine
- Achievement – everyone gets pleasure and satisfaction from occasionally achieving something. No matter how small the achievement, it adds to our mental well being.
If you read that list above, how do you score on each factor? It can be such a great awareness tool to do a “stock-take” and see if anything comes up for us that says “improvement needed here”!